About this role
Brief description of what you’ll be doing
We are looking for a Volunteer Health Advocate support our trained advocates to help people who find it difficult to find and understand information, speak up and get their voice heard when important decisions are being made about their future. Advocates help to empower people so that they have a say and role in shaping their own lives.
As a Volunteer Health Advocates you will support clients on a wide range of complex issues. Use your professional and life experience and skills to empower our clients so they can make the best decisions regarding their health.
- Work 1 – 1 or in small groups offering low level advocacy support as agreed with the management team.
- Listen to the concerns and issues of our clients
- Attend local meetings to provide information about advocacy support and our services
- Provide information about choices and options in the most appropriate format for the
client to consider
- Only act once client consent is obtained
- Support the clients if they wish to communicate with professionals
- Communicate appropriately with professionals when discussing clients’ concerns
- Produce accurate and relevant written records about individual advocacy support given to service users and share this with management for approval
- Attend regular support and supervision sessions.
- To comply with ACAPs Health and Safety and Child Protection Policies and Guidelines.
Qualifications and training required
- There are no set qualifications required for this position as all training will be organised. Any qualifications that you do have in this field would be very much welcomed.
Key Skills / What we are looking for
- Enthusiastic and passionate about helping people
- Knowledge of local health priorities
- Good people skills
- Willing to work as part of a team
- Good organisational skills
- Commitment to the role
Please note there is a complete pre-screening process for this role (application, interview, references, DBS check etc) and a comprehensive training programme you must attend (including safeguarding training) before starting in this role.
Other Volunteering Roles
Help ACAP raise essential funds
Volunteer Mentor / Coach
Help us support our young people
Produce eyecatching materials
Help us network with the right people
Give Something Back
Feel satisfied that you are helping the next generation to succeed in life. Give back and feel great about it.
Be Part of a Team
Enjoy the experience of volunteering as part of a friendly team and meeting new people.
Learn New Skills
Develop your core skills by taking part in activities designed to strengthen them. Learn new skills too.
Access to Training
Get access to training to develop your skills and expand your knowledge. This will add to your CV.
Be Part of the Community
Overcome the sense of detatchment and become an integral member of the community.
Reasonable travel and out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with our expenses policy.